Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Q & A With Our New Chair of the Board


Carri Hulet was recently elected to chair the WWHI Board of Directors We asked her a few questions to get to know her a bit better.

What does your new job with WWHI entail?
That is exactly what I am trying to figure out! As a new organization there is so much we are still working out, but I think at the end of the day the Chair of the Board is responsible for keeping the organization on course to do as much good as it can. This means making sure the Board of Directors is supporting the thoughtful, purpose-driven development and implementation of programs with strategic guidance and adequate resources.

What do you do when you're not working on WWHI stuff?
I work as a facilitator and mediator with The Langdon Group, a public participation firm based out of Salt Lake City and Boise. In my free time I love to travel, snow ski, camp and backpack, read, cook, and generally enjoy my friends and family.

What motivates you to be involved with a non profit?
Gratitude. I have been immensely fortunate throughout my life to be healthy and strong and to live in safe communities surrounded by good people and opportunities. I want to share that.

How did you get involved with WWHI?
It was pretty simple. Dana shared her vision with me and I was hooked. I started out working on fundraising and helping to find and manage volunteers.

What is it about WWHI's mission that speaks to you?
The grassroots focus on women and their ability to change their own communities. I am convinced that educating and empowering women is the key to solving the most difficult problems in the developing world, from poverty to terrorism.

What is one of your favorite WWHI experiences so far?
I will always remember the first time I saw our Mother's Day video. Suddenly everything we had been working on seemed to come together in this simple, beautiful message. I also have nearly daily "favorite" experiences with our volunteers. I am continually thrilled by their dedication, despite their very busy lives, to give their time, energy, and talents to the organization. They are remarkable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails